14 Reasons to Vote for Ilhan
1. She has 10 years of experience at all levels of government—from being a nutrition educator with the county to being a Senior Policy Aide at Minneapolis City Hall.
2. Our campaign is strongest on environmental issues. Ilhan was the first candidate to take the No Fossil Fuel pledge and is endorsed by the Sierra Club and 350Action—two of Minnesota’s strongest environmental organizations.
3. As a legislator, Ilhan authored 144 bills, including introducing HF 4201, requiring a counselor in every school in Minnesota, and HF 3434, eliminating the statute of limitations for sex offenses.
4. Her colleagues support her leadership. In 2016, she was voted Assistant Minority Leader by members of her caucus. She’s endorsed by more than 30 elected officials.
5. Nearly every progressive power-building organization has endorsed her candidacy. We’re proud to have the support of womenwinning, Outfront Minnesota Action, Take Action MN and more.
6. She has the most comprehensive platform—with specific action steps for our economy, environment, and public education system.
7. Our campaign is people powered—we have over 800 volunteers and 1500 grassroots donors. We’re working to expand the electorate, not just talking to people who always vote.
8. We earned the support of 68% of DFLers at the endorsing convention. We organized and earned the support of a super majority of party leaders.
9. Ilhan has been a working person her whole life. From cleaning offices in Richfield and Bloomington to working in call centers in Downtown Minneapolis.
10. There are over 250,000 refugees in the United States, but there are none in Congress. Ilhan will bring the voice of refugees to Washington.
11. Ilhan is a policy expert. She is a Humphrey Policy Fellow, was the Policy Director for a nonprofit focused on engaging East African women in civic life, and chaired Governor Mark Dayton’s Young Women’s Initiative.
12. She’s an award-winning civil rights leader—she’s a former vice president of the Minneapolis NAACP and recipient of the Governor’s MLK Service Award.
13. She’s an organizer. In 2016, Ilhan increased turnout by 37% in her district. She’s ready to continue increasing turnout in the 5th Congressional District.
14. If elected, she would be the 1st Muslim woman elected to the United States Congress.